A woman who was allegedly raped by a Sri Lankan World Cup cricketer in Sydney, Australia last week has told police she feared for her life during the attack, documents show court cases reported by CNN affiliate 7 News.
Danushka Gunathilaka is facing four charges of sex without consent after being arrested by police in Sydney on November 5 – shortly after his side played their final T20 Cricket World Cup match.
Gunathilaka maintains his innocence of all charges and intends to vigorously defend the case in court, his attorney told CNN on Thursday.
Police reports released by a Sydney court on Wednesday and reported by CNN affiliate 7 News detail the police allegations against Gunathilaka.
The woman, who is not identified, told police the couple went on a date in Sydney after meeting on Tinder, according to police and reported by 7 News.
Police said the couple then went to the woman’s home in the port suburb of Rose Bay, where the woman said the alleged rape took place, 7 News reported.
According to the police document, the victim alleges that Gunathilaka refused to wear a condom and choked the woman three times, 7 News reported.
7 News reported details of a police interview given by the cricketer after Gunathilaka’s arrest.
Police say he “corroborated some of the alleged victim’s story, but denied that he had been violent or that consent had not been given”.
“The complainant attempted to remove the defendant’s hand by grabbing his wrist, but the defendant squeezed harder around her neck,” the police document allegedly said, according to 7 News.
“The complainant feared for her life and could not get away from the accused,” 7 News reported citing the police report.
“She continually tried to get away from the accused, which clearly indicates that she was not consenting,” police say according to 7 News.
Prosecutors allege the woman did not consent to sex without a condom or any of the other sexual acts, 7 News reported.
Gunathilaka is being held without bail. He did not enter a plea in the case.
7 News reports that the next hearing in the case will be on January 12.
CNN did not obtain the court documents.
This year, strict new sexual consent laws came into force in the state of New South Wales, requiring sexual partners to obtain consent by word or gesture before engaging in intercourse. sex, and that sexual partners have a responsibility to clarify that consent has been given.
The law states that sexual consent to one act does not guarantee consent to other acts.