Has Sergino Dest given USMNT boss Gregg Berhalter a late World Cup injury scare?

Did Sergino Dest scare Gregg Berhalter at the end of the World Cup? USMNT right-back misses ANOTHER AC Milan game with groin strain on eve of Qatar roster announcement

Question marks over Sergino Dest’s World Cup availability intensified on Tuesday night as the defender missed his third game in a row for AC Milan.

The 21-year-old is USMNT coach Gregg Berhalter’s first choice at right-back and is expected to be named to his World Cup squad on Wednesday.

But Dest was out again for his side, Italian giants AC Milan, on Tuesday in their 0-0 draw against Cremonese in Serie A.

Sergino Dest was expected to be the USMNT from the 2022 World Cup

Sergino Dest was expected to be the USMNT from the 2022 World Cup

Dest has missed several games due to what is known as kidnapper fatigue

Dest has missed several games due to what is known as kidnapper fatigue

Last week, Dest was described by Italian league second-placed Milan as suffering from adductor fatigue.

The United States kick off their World Cup campaign against Wales on November 21. Milan, meanwhile, have one more game in Italy ahead of the start of the World Cup – against Fiorentina on Sunday.

This could provide Dest, who is on loan at the Barcelona club, one last chance to get a few minutes under his belt before the tournament starts.

He has featured eight times for the Italians so far this season and also played in the last two USMNT games – a 2-0 loss against Japan and a 0-0 draw against Saudi Arabia. His last match dates back to October 30 against Torino.

After playing against Wales, the United States meet England on 25 November. They complete their group against Iran on November 29.

A version of Berhalter’s 26-man squad leaked online Tuesday night, ahead of his big announcement, and it included Dest on the roster.

Berhalter is sweating a number of injured players with less than two weeks until the United open their campaign against Wales.

The manager said he would assess stars who were sidelined on a case-by-case basis last week, but welcomed the positive news.

“Some of the guys we’re working with now, Aaron Long and Walker Zimmerman, we can work with them now for about two weeks, which would be a good time,” Berhalter said.

“Guys who were injured in the last camp, like Cameron Carter-Vickers, are now back on the pitch. It helps. Mark McKenzie plays every week in Belgium.

“Eric Palmer-Brown plays every week in France. And Tim Ream plays every week in the Premier League. This is a good thing. So I’m quite comfortable that with this group we can have four centre-backs who can help us win games.

Advertising

Leave a Comment